Villagers in Nong Bua Lamphu were affected with food poisoning after consuming raw cicadas.
Cicadas are commonly found in Thailand and can be heard at night time where there are trees. Eating bugs are fairly popular here specifically fried bugs. Raw bugs aren’t that popular and they shouldn’t be according to this incident that took place.
9 villagers were rushed to the Nong Bua Lamphu hospital at 2 am on the 16th of this month. The villagers come from 3 sub-districts all in the main city of Nong Bua Lamphu. Each of them was showing symptoms of serious food poisoning such as throwing up, extreme nausea, stomach ache, and diarrhea.
All the patients had one thing in common, they all ate raw cicadas bought from the same seller. The seller was a man on a motorbike who went to houses in the area to sell raw cicadas. The seller told the villagers that the cicadas were fresh from Chanthaburi province and the border. The villagers thought that the cicadas looked fresh so they bought the cicadas for 60 THB per 100 grams.
The villagers made the cicada into salads, some made mango salad with raw cicadas and some made tamarin salad with raw cicadas, it is common to consume raw food with sour ingredients to add acidity in Thailand. The villagers had the cicadas at dinner around sunset and started to show food poisoning symptoms around 8 pm.
Dara Aekganha, one of the patients reported that there were 4 people who ate the raw cicada salad with her and 2 became extremely sick. She has learned her lesson to not eat random food or raw food sold to her. Dara recommends finding your own cicadas from the forest.
FB Caption: Villagers in Nong Bua Lamphu rushed to the local hospital at 2 am from serious food poisoning.
Source: Amarin News