Crewmen die after eating pufferfish’s roe

TWO Myanmar workers died on a Thai fishing trawler last night after eating the roe of a pufferfish they caught from the sea, the Thai-language daily Matichon reported today (Feb. 23).

Thai crewmen told marine police in Kanom district of Nakhon Si Thammarat province that the two Myanmar men, aged 22 and 29, vomited and developed seizure after eating the raw eggs.

Another Myanmar crewman survived after receiving medical treatment at Kanom District Hospital.

A medical doctor told the local media that pufferfish can be lethally poisonous due to its tetrodotoxin. Therefore, it must be carefully prepared to remove toxic parts and to avoid contaminating the meat. Domestic preparation occasionally leads to accidental death, he added.


Top: The meal the Myanmar fishermen prepared which killed 2 of them. Photo: Matichon

By Songpol Kaopatumtip