Predawn fire damages famous Krabi pub

A POPULAR pub in southern tourist coastal town of Krabi was badly damaged in a predawn fire this morning but the blaze was put out in 20 minutes and there were no injuries, Thai News Agency reported today (Nov. 21).

At 5.30 am firemen from Krabi town and rescuers from Krabi Phithak Pracha rushed to the pub with fire engines and managed to extinguish the fire which had started in the DJ’s booth in 20 minutes.

pub fire four

However as the pub was full of smoke the firemen had to remove the air ducts before they could go in and put it out.

Bandit Rakkit, 52, a guard at the pub said after the pub had closed he was sitting in front of it while the owner was going through CCTV footage within when suddenly the blaze erupted in the DJ’s booth and he rushed in to put it out with a fire extinguisher but failed to do so because it spread very quickly up the walls and across the ceiling.

However as no one was within at the time there were no injuries while the amount of damage is still being estimated.

Although forensic police are still determining the cause of the fire it is suspected that a short circuit triggered it as there are burnt wires in the control panel within the DJ’s booth.


Top and in-text: The Krabi pub which was badly damaged in a predawn fire. Photos: Thai News Agency