Texas girl electrocuted while using cellphone in bathtub

 (USA Today) – A 14-year-old girl from Lubbock, Texas, died on Sunday after being electrocuted in a bathtub while using her cell phone, according to local reports. 

Madison Coe was electrocuted after she either grabbed her phone that was plugged in or plugged in her phone, her grandmother Donna O’Guinn told KCBD-TV. The teen was visiting her father in New Mexico when the incident occurred. 

Tablet being charged

“There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened,” O’Guinn told the news station. 

Coe’s family hopes that her death will bring awareness to the issue of phone safety, especially in the bathtub. 

“This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else,” O’Guinn said. “And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging.” 

A GoFundMe created by family friends in Coe’s honor has already raised over $5,000. 

A memorial service will be held today at 2 pm in Lovington at the First United Methodist Church, according to the GoFundMe. Another memorial will be held tomorrow, July 15th, at 2:00 pm at Kings Ridge Church of Christ in Lubbock, KCBD reported.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says it’s investigating the incident, said spokesperson Patty Davis.


Top: Madison Coe has sadly passed away. Photo: USA Today

Inset: A woman plugging in her tablet. Photo: Zyabich, Getty Images/iStockphoto via USA Today

SOURCE: USA Today network written by Mary Bowerman with Brett Molina contributing to this report.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *