TOURISTS ran out in panic after a fire broke out at the backup generator room of Dara Hotel in Phuket Town at 1.30 p.m. this afternoon (June 1, 2018) but fortunately there were no injuries, Thai News Agency reported.
Firemen rushed to the hotel and pried open the door to this room from which plumes of thick black smoke was pouring out, then quickly sprayed lots of water to prevent the fire from spreading to the main building. After battling the blaze for 30 minutes they were able to bring it under control.
It is suspected that a short circuit triggered the fire, and an inspection of the generator and other equipment within this room afterwards determined that the damage was around 1 million baht.
Mr Katha Vacharaphin, the hotel’s managing director, said before the fire broke out power supply was disrupted 3 times.
When the fire started there was a big rush to get out of the hotel but no one got injured and none of the tourists staying there were affected.
The hotel has been regularly holding fire drills which helped control the situation, he said, adding that the power supply should be back up again in about 3 hours’ time.
Top, in-text and below: Thick smoke billowing out of Dara Hotel’s backup generator room. Photos: Thai News Agency.