Noodle shop owner dies saving neighbors from fire

THE owner of a noodle shop at adjacent Ayutthaya city died bravely after rescuing his neighbors, among whom are children and an elderly person, from their blazing shophouse in the middle of last night, the Thai-language daily Matichon reported this morning (Sept 12, 2018).

Pol Col Anusorn Wayakhum, head of Ayutthaya police station, and this team of policemen and 5 fire engines rushed to the burning shophouse at 3 a.m. and took around 20 minutes to completely extinguish the blaze.

After doing so they found the body for Mr Kamol Rojkanyaporn, or Ar Hui, 65, owner of Ar Hui duck noodle shop next door in the charred remains.

Eyewitnesses said that Ar Hui dashed into the 3-storey shophouse after a fire started in the second floor to rescue the 4 occupants, among whom are children and an elderly person, as well as the property’s owner Mrs Phimchai Lumrat, 42.

As they were fleeing the fire, Ar Hui, being the last one to leave, choked on the thick smoke and died there.

People at the market where the shophouses are located are deeply saddened by his death because he was born and raised there and later opened his duck noodle shop.

Police are checking the cause of the fire but suspect it was started by a short circuit.


Top:The shophouse which caught fire last night with an image of Ar Hui, who died saving his neighbors, inset. Photo: Matichon