This story was shared by Facebook User named Chayanon Am-Maree as a warning to netizens to beware of what you eat. The user went through a shocking experience after he pulled an Ascaris Lumbricoides, a species of roundworm straight out from his own throat. A picture was attached with the post showing a clear ziplock bag with the parasite wrapped in tissue taken in front of a hospital in the Rangsit area, Pathumthani Province.
Chayanon stated that he started coughing nonstop. The symptoms continued then he started feeling like something was stuck in his throat, to be exact it was if a string of spaghetti was stuck there. He decided to reach into his mouth to find the cause so he could remove it. Instead of food, Chayanon pulled out a roundworm that made him decide to go to the hospital.
Chayanon stated in the post “I’m going to tell you a scary story. Last night at around 2 AM I was sleeping peacefully when I started coughing. Then I felt like there was food stuck in my throat, something like spaghetti. I got up to pull out whatever was stuck in my throat. Well, it was a 6-inch roundworm crawling out from my throat. Right now I’m at the hospital with the parasite to show the doctor. I couldn’t sleep after that, it’s scary. No more raw food and fresh vegetables for me.”
Roundworm is a very common parasite found in humans, especially in developing countries where food hygiene is often not taken seriously enough. WHO stated that there is about 10% suffering from Ascariasis in Developing Nations. Ascariasis is an infection from Ascaris Lumbricoides, a roundworm. Usually, there are no symptoms but when there are it can be a sign that the infection might’ve entered the lungs or the intestines. Fresh vegetables can have roundworm eggs from manure made from animal feces and young children can get infected from accidentally consuming dirt.
FB Caption: He pulled a 6-inch roundworm out from his throat at 2 am.
Source: Healthline, Facebook User: Chayanon Am-Maree, Khaosod